Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: James Cameron

  1. #11
    Inactive Member plantsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2006
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: James Cameron

    It's my understanding that an Israeli archaeologist discovered this 27 years ago, and has stated that he does not believe it to be Christ. I wonder why they have now decided to do a documentary.

    Personally, I don't believe it, as I believe Christ was resurrected physically (he showed his wounds to some of the disciples after the resurrection). But I will say this: the American church and the typical believer therein do not like to have their beliefs challenged. IMO, I believe this to be the case because our beliefs are shallow rooted; most of us have been spoon fed WHAT to believe and have little reasoning to substantiate WHY we believe it. That's just my opinion.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    377
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: James Cameron

    [ QUOTE ]
    ... They then used statisticians to calculate the chances of this happening by chance.

    The odds of it being chance are very high. Of course they are not nearly as high as the odds of random mutation leading to positive macro-evolution or of the bang bang creating the universe. Yet these things are taught as fact in our public schools.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Statistics is a fine way to look at predictions and even an additional way to better understand things found in nature, but it is far removed from being able to give any truthful credibility to the claims they are making.

    Statistically it has been said that there are billions of stars in the sky and a possible fraction of those could have planets orbiting them with atmospheres similar to ours and thus could possibly have developed simple, if not advanced, types of life upon them. However, to date there is still no concrete facts that life, in any form, exists beyond our own planet. Scientists believe that it is probable, but it still has not been proven. Likewise, they can guess and statistically try to give credence to these claims that they found Jesus' tomb, but they cannot prove it. Its a fun exercise in possibilities at best and more probably just another publicity stunt similar to all the documentaries that came out before and after "The DaVinci Code" was published. Just my thoughts on the subject.
    ......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......

  3. #13
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: James Cameron

    I completely agree with you boney. Had there been hard evidence that this was the case, you would have seen this much highly publicised back in the 80s when it was discovered.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #14
    Inactive Member j10's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 26th, 2007
    Posts
    299
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: James Cameron

    Jesus rising was physical not spiritual because his spirit never died. His spirit was in hell paying the punishment for our sins and when he rose from the grave Satan was defeated. We should be ashamed that this blasphemy is even allowed on TV. I know, freedom of speech but if you look at everything this country is built on you will find we are supposed to be a nation UNDER GOD.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member plantsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2006
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: James Cameron

    Good points. Statistics is a very valuable too, but always attached are margin of error and probability factors. A stats professor I had in grad school made a couple of statements that I remember: 1). "Many people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: more for support than illumination". 2). "Figures don't lie, but liars figure".

    By the way, interesting read from Scientific American at http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?cha...A9AEC98FB0702A

  6. #16
    Inactive Member Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    377
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: James Cameron

    Wow, those two points are definitely true.
    ......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: James Cameron

    "There are three kinds of lies: Lies, [censored] Lies, and Statistics." - Sir Benjamin Disraeli
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  8. #18
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: James Cameron

    You can't take everything word for word from the bible. I dont think Jesus physically rose from the dead. It was his spirit. In todays terms it would be called an apparition. When we die, we do not physically rise from the dead and go to Heaven, our bodys are useless, but our spirits will go.
    Don't get me wrong, I read the Bible, and I believe everything in it, but I dont take it word for word. You just can't because it was written by man.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: James Cameron

    [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] LOL the filter censored one of the most famous quotes of all time!!!
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  10. #20
    Inactive Member j10's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 26th, 2007
    Posts
    299
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: James Cameron

    Not immediately at least, in revelation it speaks of how the dead in Christ shall rise and it even tells of the dried bones being returned to flesh. And while it may not happen to us, thankfully Jesus wasn't like me and you, and if Jesus left His body in the grave, then Thomas definitely stuck his hand into the side of a nonphysical being. Im not trying to tick you off so i apoligize if i made you mad, and i don't doubt your faith, it's just me trying to share what I believe and have read and learned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •